Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Redux

There are some things I've become very well-trained at.

Shopping for groceries at Wooly's/ Coles's means first a stop at the expiring bin and then walking along the aisles looking out for yellow "specials" tags. Grocery shopping this morning with Johannes and Lukas cost 4.80AUD for two days' worth of food. Lukas goes into the church and remarks at how strange Aussie churches are. They are so new it loooks like a furniture shop inside.

Getting around cities means taking only free buses, walking a lot and travelling only when you can get special-priced tickets. The walk from Hay St to East Perth Railway Station was about an hour long but cost only a few hundred calories. From there, it was trying not to look overwhelmed with my bags while attempting to get ready for the three-day train ride.

Making friends on the train and/or with Germans. A nice blonde blue-eyed girl is sitting beside me. Of course we become buddies in the next few minutes. Her name is Jana and, surprise, surprise, she's German (yay.) German girls are strange somehow and for lunch we are already sharing food (does not happen with Korean girls). At night she cannot sleep and asks so nicely for me to sleep on the floor so she can have my seat, which I do. German girls are strange somehow.

Being prejudiced against "abbos". How racist am I really? After all, I might not have as much a sense of justice as I think I do. My contact with aborigines have been minimal. I'm almost afraid of them. Is that a consequence or a coincidence? I brush off someone who comes to wish me Merry Xmas and I feel guilty. A few minutes later, Jana told me that the person who wishes you Merry Xmas will also ask for money. Maybe I am well-trained...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home