Thursday, January 18, 2007

This Is an R&B Song

The Swan Bells have a funny little story, which make it a real attraction for me. The government of WA has this great gift of broken bells that the British government doesnt want anymore and gives to them. So what does the Premier do? He uses millions of taxpayers' money to erect a monument to it. This monument is to be ubiquitous and and awe-inspiring. Well of course the State of Wait Awhile runs out of money and has to build it shorter. So now they've got a nice, short building with old bells inside. Cool. Not to mention that when it's really really windy (like today), the whole building becomes a giant bellow and sends a perpetual moan right across the esplanade park.

DSCF3000

There're a bunch of blokes playing Ultimate Frisbee on the park so I ask if I can join them and of course I can. We play till the end of lunchtime and then it's time for them to go and for me to go to King's Park. After a pant-inducing climb up Jacob's Ladder, I wander around the edge of King's Park that makes Perth look a little nicer from that height (maybe because there's less oxygen). Next stop, I challenge myself to go to Swanbourne Beach alone, which I succeed at, but it's sucky there because there's a huge sou-westie coming in from the Indian Ocean and i have sand everywhere in my nose, hair and ears.

Back home, Rachel is there wallowing in her giant glass of red. She's down with boy troubles but really this lovely 29-year-old girl is down with life-troubles. So I pick her up and ask her out on a dinner date. We dress her up in eye-liner, vans, a heavy metal belt and Harith's army burnout jacket. Looking like we're mean and we mean it, we go out and Rachel decides on bringing me to the Wheelbarrow and Elephant (her vomitty - literally - ex-employers) for the pub meal I want. It's my treat as she's feeling down but good food and wine later, we're laughing to stupid things like "Kata Lata Kula" and dancing to The Cure.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home